The Vorprung Luftkappe is a new air piston assembly for Rockshox’s current generation Solo Air Pike, Yari and Lyrik forks. User installable and simple to set up.
- Coil-like feel
- Larger negative air chamber
- Lower initial spring rate
- Increased sensitivity
- Improved mid stroke support & control
- Superior bump compliance and traction
- Reduced hand fatigue
- Reduces required compression damping
- Retains Bottomless Token compatibility
- Optional 10mm shaft clamps available for self-install
- Can I install it myself?
Yes, provided you have access to the supplies and tools listed in the installation instructions above.
- Does it work with DPA forks?
- Does it work with the Boxxer?
- Does it work with older Lyriks (Mission Control/Motion Control)?
- How does it actually work?
It enlarges the negative air chamber to reduce the initial spring rate. This lets you run higher air pressure for more support in the middle and end of the stroke with improved sensitivity in the start of the stroke.
- Does it work with MRP’s Ramp Control cartridge?
Compatible configurations: Pike up to 150mm, Lyrik up to 160mm
Incompatible configurations: Pike at 160mm, Lyrik at 170mm or more. These configurations cause interference between the Luftkappe and the Ramp Control cartridge.
- Shouldn’t I just buy a new fork instead?
Sure, they’re about the same price as the Luftkappe.
- What parts does it actually replace in the air spring?
It replaces only the plastic piston itself, and the foam topout bumper is removed but not replaced. You reuse your air shaft and seal head, as well as the piston bolt. The kit includes new seals for everything you may want to replace on that assembly (piston dynamic seals, piston bolt o-ring, dynamic shaft o-ring, seal head outer o-ring).